Chemotherapy drugs damage cancer cells and healthy cells. Enclosed is an overview of five tips to help restore normal cell function that result from cancer treatment induced toxicities.
Chemotherapy agents generate oxidative stress which tends to damage the skin and the mucosal lining of the digestive tract. The degree of adverse affects (toxicities) impacts subsequent cancer treatment options, the patient’s outlook and quality of life.
However, in addition to prescription medications there are ways to ease chemotherapy induced adverse affects. With a bit of advanced planning for your self or a loved one, the following tips/products provide benefit before, during and after chemotherapy cycles. Additionally, if you are providing long distance care/support these helpful items can be ordered online and shipped direct.
● DaSomá Therapeutic Ointment and lip balm to lessen susceptibility to treatment induced skin damage and discomfort. Chemotherapy drugs interfere with oil and sweat gland function which contributes to dry, irritated, tender/raw skin. Chemotherapy also tends to damage the lips causing cracking (fissures), soreness, and extremely chapped lips (cheilitis). Info/photo about DaSomá Ointment & Lip Balm is noted below.
● Reiki Type Music . . . when the mind is calm the body is calm. There is a growing awareness of the emotional and spiritual component to managing chronic disease. Reiki type (music therapy) comforts the mind/body during chemotherapy treatment and at home to facilitate rest and recovery. Zen Notes by Nadama & Shastro is an example of Reiki type music; Atmospheres by Deuter is also relaxing and peaceful. You can listen to samples online.
● Soft Ginger Chews . . . ginger helps suppress nausea and modifies systemic inflammatory cell signals such as leukotrienes, lipoxygenase and cyclooxygenase-2. Natural food markets and the organic section of food stores offer organic ginger chews. Trader Joe’s offers a store brand soft ginger chew in an 8 oz package; Ginger People’s Gin Gins® also provides a soft ginger chew. Reed’s also provides an all natural sweet/spicy chewy ginger candy. Additionally, chemotherapy drugs tend to make the mouth dry. In addition to suppressing nausea and inflammatory cell activity, the soft ginger chew will help stimulate protective saliva.
● Avocado is an extremely (extremely) potent source of Vitamin E and glutathione; both are cell protectors (antioxidants). Normally, oxidative stress induces a protective compensatory increase in the synthesis of the endogenous antioxidant glutathione. However, chemotherapy tends to be administered in cycles (on and off over months) which drains glutathione supply. Diminished antioxidant capacity then makes healthy cells vulnerable to chemo damage. Avocado/cacao chocolate pudding is nutrient dense, gluten free and vegan. Check Katha-Soma’s Pinterest board for avocado based recipes and an avocado chocolate pudding recipe that uses cacao powder.
● Avoid gluten foods; for many people gluten creates inflammation (stresses) the mucosal lining of the digestive track. Chemotherapy drugs can also damage the mucosal lining of the digestive tract which can lead to a condition called gastrointestinal mucositis. Cell damage to the mucosal lining creates discomfort and disrupts nutrient absorption which hinders recovery.
There have been significant advancements in cancer management including minimizing side affects caused by cancer treatment. Support and nurturing from family and friends will contribute to a cancer patient’s physical and emotional well being.
DaSomá is a medicinal ointment and lip balm formulated specifically for skin symptoms resulting from chemo and/or radiation. CLICK HERE to learn about DaSomá Ointment.
Mucositis is the inflammatory reaction that occurs when cancer treatments break down the continually dividing epithelial cells lining the GI tract, and/or oral cavity, leaving the mucosal tissue vulnerable to ulceration, painful sores and infection. Mucositis can occur anywhere along the digestive tract from the mouth to the anus.
Kathá Soma therapeutics are formulated to help people living with cancer, chronic disease or slow cell renewal due to aging, minimize their signs & symptoms, achieve daily comfort and maintain quality of life. To learn more about Kathá Soma visit: www.Katha-Soma.com
DISCLAIMER: Kátha Soma does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. The information provided is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. USA/2014-15